Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wellness Wednesday

Welcoming Home

I've been thinking a lot lately about the positive influence a welcoming home can have on the body and the mind.  You see we are moving in about 18 months.  Not just moving, but moving overseas.  So we will be giving up our home - hopefully to some wonderful tenants that will rent her and look after her (because we can't sell for what we owe, but that is a whole other story).

Yet, despite knowing that my home will not be my home for much longer I am still driven to make it what I envision it to be.  I want to finish painting all the walls, put up artwork and inspirational quotes and turn it into a wonderful welcoming sanctuary.  This has confused me a little as 1. I've never really been a make it homey person, and 2) My logical side of my brain knows that its financial output that we wont get to enjoy.

So why so driven?  I think it comes down to the need to have a sanctuary.  A place that I feel good to go home to.  My life is so stressful with school and work that I need to come home and feel like this little part of the world is all mine, it reflects my personality and it offers me a warm embrace to soothe the tired body and mind. I don't think we can underestimate the impact that this type of environment can have on us.  I think I'm just experiencing it for the first time.  My childhood was such that the house I grew up in was not a home, then we moved around a lot when my parents split and I never really had a home.  In fact I don't believe that until now I have ever lived in one place for longer than 3years.  We are going on four in this house.


No comments:

Post a Comment