Monday, April 29, 2013

Musing Monday

How do we learn to take constructive criticism without feeling personally attacked?

So this is not witchy related - I'm thought dumping.

Maybe it is the nature of the communication that comes with online education but I've found myself becoming rather sensitive to constructive criticism over the last few years to the point that I put off a reworking of a paper until the last minute because I didn't want to go through the red comments left all over it.  I've never been the greatest with criticism.  Too many years of constantly being put down has definitely taken its toll and I find it very hard not to take everything as a personal attack - its something I'm working on.  I do much better when I can see the person, read their body language, question their comments.  But you can't do this in an online situation, and as we all know its far too easy to read tonality into written words that may not actually exist.  So I have to wonder: a) how do we fix the system itself and b) how do we fix the demons within ourselves that overreact?  I don't know that I have an answer to either of these at the moment, but b) is something I'm going to think about this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment