Monday, January 14, 2013

Musing Monday (1/14/13)



There are two aspects to this I want to discuss.  Firstly, the obvious interpretation that a single act of kindness can change someone's day.  It is funny how we know this reaction to be true within ourselves and yet I wonder how many doubt that any 'little' thing that they do can really make a difference, and so they don't.  Even something as simple as smiling to a stranger on the street could make that person's day better - although I'll be the first to admit that where I live now it actually seems to make people nervous rather than smile.  And that is something else entirely.  The personal bubble that everyone seems to live in where you avoid eye contact and hurry through your life like nothing else in the world exists, we don't connect anymore and I think that this is highly detrimental to society.  I've lived in three different countries and where I live in the US is the absolute worst for this.  But that is a rant for a different day.

The second part of this message relates to ourselves.  Ever tried to say something nice to yourself?  A lot of people (including myself) struggle with this.  We all seem to be programmed that to do so is to have an ego and yet it is so vital that we acknowledge a love for ourselves.  So try it, every morning say one nice thing to yourself in the mirror - say it and mean it!  See how things might change.

No comments:

Post a Comment