Friday, January 4, 2013

Free Friday (1-4-13)

Today's Free Friday comes in the form of a Book Review.  I have just finished reading T. Thorn Coyle's "Kissing the Limitless" and I loved it.



I'll be the first to admit that while I don't have the collection that some Pagans do I think I have read my fair share of various books related to this spiritual path and I have to say that I am in love with T. Thorn Coyle's words (Yes, I have Evolutionary Witchcraft as my next book to read).

"We need to make magic from where we are, not where we should be. We can set ourselves up for failure because we are not honest about who we are right in this moment. Magic is simple. But to get simple takes a lot of practice, and a lot of presence."
On reading these words I was hooked on this book.  I think what I love most is that this book is more than the usual "here's how I do things and why" to this book, there is depth.  Coyle's education and experiences both shine through giving the reader a text that is both thoughtful, inclusive and based in actual experiences.  Yes, there is Feri influence but there is also Jungian psychology, ceremonial magic, thelema and many other paths explored throughout this work all of which combined creates a text that makes sense.  The fact that Coyle makes an effort to draw connections to various religious paths with what she is discussing is to her credit, too often authors focus only on a pagan or Wiccan perspective and it can take away from the significance.  The fact that it is pointed out that many paths follow a similar idea or practice adds credibility to the truth of it in my eyes at least.

The focus of this book is, as the title states, about getting your spiritual self organized, on track and moving towards a deeper connection.  Divided into 3 parts the book offers a variety of reflective activities as well as working activities that will help you move past barriers that you may have erected or hurdles that you're just struggling with. There is no rush to get through this book, it isn't a "here's your year and a day" program, it is something for you to work through and on at whatever level for as long as you need and Coyle emphasizes not rushing into the next step until you're ready.

This book is not meant for the dabbler, it is meant to assist you with creating a lifelong spiritual practice that will encourage your growth but that requires dedication and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment